“Summertime, and the living is easy…” Should it Be?
It’s summer now, the sun is shining, and an old tune brings back wistful memories.
Remember the last few days of school? Exams were over and there wasn’t much happening, just the anticipation of barbeques, the beach and everything summer.
Unfortunately for all of us working guys and gals, summer doesn’t mean quite what it used to. Hopefully there’s time for some shorter days in the office and more time for the simple pleasures of summer, like golf, tennis, the pool, maybe just a hammock in the backyard.
On the other hand, an increasing number of CPAs are treating the slow summer season as if it wasn’t a slow season at all. They are moving aggressively to expand their practices, explore big career moves, or take the leap into new ventures. For them, there is no summer lull.
They’re thinking about the essential elements of thriving in today’s market, such as:
- Landing a new full-fee client
- Recruiting a new fast-track partner
- Positioning themselves for retirement
- Finding and keeping a great staff person
- Setting up a real succession plan
- Upgrading office technology
- Locating the perfect merger partner
- Increasing partner earnings
- Staying abreast of tax and other regulatory changes
- Acquiring and integrating a niche practice
From now through December, forward-thinking and decisive CPAs will be maneuvering for new advantages. They’re getting ready for 2015 and beyond.
It seems there’s no “off-season” anymore, not with the competitive pressures and client demands in rough-and-tumble Metro New York.